The Institution of Engineers (India) established in 1920 was incorporated under The Royal Charter in 1935 by the then King of England George V. After Independence, the Institution is a “Body Corporate” protected under Article 372 of the Constitution of India.
The Royal Charter has mandated various responsibilities to the Institution, one of them being :-
“To arrange and promote the adoption of equitable forms of contracts and other documents used in engineering and to encourage the settlement of disputes by arbitration and to act as or nominate arbitrators and umpires on such terms and in such cases as may be seem expedient”.
The Institution maintains a panel of highly qualified and well experienced Arbitrators having technical and professional engineering competence covering 15 core engineering disciplines from amongst its Fellow members who are attached to 125 State and Local Centres of the Institution located all over the country. These Arbitrators are providing their excellent services to litigants for settling disputes through Arbitration since the beginning. IEI awards a certificate to the empanelled arbitrators in token of recognition of their expertise in the field of arbitration. The Institution appoints arbitrator from its panel of arbitrators in various disputes that arise by and between the parties during execution of works / supplies contracts.